As I have a smidgen of time up my invisible sleeve, I have decided to catalogue the things I really enjoy doing.
1. Gardening -not in the by-the-book, must buy the latest hybrid seeds and hatch them kind of way. Just regular weeding and pruning and mowing. I am not a fan of hedging, because it hurts my wrists.
2. Painting – again definitely not by the book or with some grand idea to produce something amazing. Just because I like colour. LOVE colour. I don’t get to wear much now I’m a heffer but I do love painting with it. I can’t imagine what it must be like to paint those big black canvases with a streak of grey or red. How boring. I love colour but at the same time can’t handle Ken Done… how unAustralian.
3. Tweeting – I do love twitter. Or I loved Twitter. I think I have to be more selective with those I choose to follow. For a while I followed those who were talking about social media. Now everyone is talking about it, even the local restaurant. And they tweet and retweet each other, over and over. No-one wishes to be in a room full of roosters and sometimes that is what twitter is like. Not tweets, but crows and squawks and who can out link everybody else. I still love twitter but for the quiet, for the humour, for the gentle sharing that is a true “tweet”.
4. Swimming – Something I simply do not do enough of. One day I want to do an ocean swim. I think I could train to do the distance but my vivid imagination would drag me into icy shark-infested, blue-bottle stuffed waters and I might be too afraid to make 5 mtres, let alone 5km.
5. #sydneymorningphoto – ok so this is twitter related, but basically it is my very good reason to get out of bed in the morning and watch the sunrise. I have to take a photo on my phone. In order to do this properly I have walk/run (wun) down to the beach and then of course back again before the kids get up. It is usually about 40minutes all up, and if I do it every day I can cross off my 30min of exercise a day without too much hassle. I hate getting up, I hate wunning, I love the photo snapping and then I hate the trip home. Overall though it is very worth it.
6. Cooking – I like to cook. I prefer though when what I cook is eaten. I like cooking with things from our garden. I like having the children in the kitchen with me, learning learning learning. I don’t like other people in my kitchen.
7. Writing – there is a lot of junk in my head. Writing is a good way to put it in a virtual soccerball and kick it into space.
8. Nails – love having the time to do my nails. I don’t have great nails, but generally if my nails are done that means I have achieved some time to myself and I have carefully and lovingly sorted their issues out.
9. Family – spending time with them, well obviously, but time that isn’t constrained and contorted into must-be-here-by-then-or-else. Just natural stress free family time. Like Tapas Saturdays and Sydney Weekender.
10. Grass – not smoking it, lying on it. I love lying on the grass and watching the sky. Prefer the grass to any chair. I can sit, I can lie, I can roll over and I can also say “woof”.
I think I’m quite a loyal creature at heart.